Saturday, March 13, 2010

Retraction

Hey all...long time no talk...life has been a BIT busy to say the least. What with grad school, a new job (another one! long story...) and some big news I've been a bit occupied.

About a month ago I posted a very "heartfelt" piece on the trickery behind onesies. Little did I realize at the time that my reassuring statement at the beginning of the post was a LIE. I am in fact...pregnant. YOW! I had no clue at the time, and was wholeheartedly convinced the entire month I wasn't...despite having a two-week hangover and tackling Dave (hubby) on two separate occasions for food: once for a chocolate chip cookie, and the other time for a hot dog.

If you know me at all, I'm not exactly a hot dog eating type. I just hopped off the vegetarian bandwagon about 6 months ago and haven't exactly been plowing into hot dogs or other questionable "meat" at any frequency. Oh, and feeling queasy? I was convinced it was from a friend's birthday party- where we surely were celebrating "21" not 28- that really could've caused a 2 week hangover like I felt!

The hubby was convinced, and I wasn't. In an effort to show him who was right, I whipped out the handy EPT on coincidentally, our 4-year anniversary. That baby (no pun intended) barely blinked before a big fat positive came up on the screen. I quietly uttered to myself "mother fucker" in my ultimate shock. How could this be??! Granted we weren't exactly careful, there was that anniversary celebration...and the new job celebration...and the I'm starting grad school celebration...well you get the picture! I guess I just figured it wouldn't happen so soon...

I have been taking the past 6 weeks to adjust and surrender to my ever-changing body. I'm a runner but my shortness of breath tells me to power walk. I enjoy spicy foods but my queasy tummy says how bout a plain bagel with egg whites instead? Not to mention feeling like death while juggling a sales job, grad school homework and trying to pull off a "composed" image to those unknowing individuals around me, I was exhausted. I finally let people know- I'm pretty much all tum & chest so it's not that subtle anymore!

Yesterday I realized why I was going through all of this. I went to the doc for our very first ultrasound...it was nothing short of amazing. Dave laughed as I had to yet endure one other object shoved up my lady business (he cringed when the metal speculum was crammed in there during his front row seating at last week's appointment)- but the result was much more rewarding this time. On the 1992-era GE ultrasound we saw our first picture of Baby, and "she" was perfect. We also saw a fast flicker indicating the heartbeat...and I forgot about every complaint I had.

Today when I was teary about my tight jacket and growing belly, I was reminded of what's really going on when I looked at the picture again...maybe it's because it's our little one, but I swear it looks cuter than your typical ultrasound specimen already :)

P.S. I haven't gone crazy buying onesies (it's no fun when you don't know the sex!), but today we did spend $100 on our unborn baby's library! reformed shopaholic? forget it with these hormones!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, it's so exciting! I want to help you decorate the nursery in your NEW house! What an exciting time for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking LOVE YOU! Our baby is so very lucky to have you as a mom.

    ReplyDelete