Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Credit Cards Begone!

If you haven't noticed, my moniker gives away a deep, dark, not so secret fact about me: I love to shop. Sure, it's a common trait for most women in their twenties, and really most women in general (sorry to out you ladies!) But for me nothing beats the process of point, click, discover, "add to bag", and checkout. Within minutes I can locate any item I so desire- and within a short waiting time it will arrive at my doorstep- all without leaving the comfort of my couch/bed/office chair...you get the idea.

Like most nasty little habits, this online shopping really rears its head in times of trouble. In the words of Rebecca Bloomwood, "When I shop the world gets better, the world is better; and then it's not anymore and I have to do it again." It seems through every stressful life event, I know I can always turn to my online fix fo a quick pick-me-up. Wedding stress due to 8 million vendor phone calls and bickering parents? Solved! Compliments of JCrew and all of its cute sundresses that completed my honeymoon wardrobe. Trying to land a new job but worried no one will hire me? Not to fear, with Ann Taylor's full Fall Collection now in my closet, I'm well armed for any interview! Now with bulging closets, a personal relationship with our UPS delivery guy, and a stack of worn out credit cards, I've decided it's time to re-evaluate.

As you may agree, life always has stressful events to deal out. The moment one storm has quelled, another one is rolling in. Thus, the totals of my shopping sprees are barely paid off when the next online extravaganza begins. So, here I sit after a year of nothing but those events: a flood that destroyed all my furniture, a wedding complete with family drama, a major job change with stress along the way, and all of the fun in between. Suze Orman would not be proud of my bank statements, but she would be proud of my newfound resolve to end it all. Sure, I hear snickering in the background, but I really mean it this time!

I officially informed the hubby we are on a cash/envelope/no credit card plan. His response? "Of course, no problem!"Funny, I thought it would be much harder to break the news to him...or maybe I had to announce it to fully acknowledge the dire change needed. Regardless, here goes! Wish me luck (I think I may need it).

No comments:

Post a Comment