Monday, October 19, 2009

The Decade of In-Between

I recently found myself "in between" many life stages- between marriage and baby, city and suburbs, debt and financial freedom, and mostly, a continuous need for change and contentment. What is it about this mysterious resting place in our twenties, that drives the need for continuous achievement and asking "what's next"?

I am equally thankful and resentful for this inner question, mostly because it has helped me achieve and be where I'm at today, but at the same time has hindered any periods of stalling out- or kicking up my feet to enjoy the time passing. Perhaps if I was more focused on socializing and staying in my college state of just being, I would currently be working as both a yoga instructor & a barista? Not that I resent either of those options- I am very thankful for both of those people in my life!

I guess what I'm trying to say, is the state of continuous need for change has helped propel me forward, but at the same point still makes me wonder when it all stops? Or when does it stall? Does one need kids, a four bedroom house, a summer home, the SUV, to slow it all down? Or is that just what we do to fill the empty space within?

I recently reconnected with an old friend who works for the Peace Corps, and I truly admired his lease on life. Sure he only makes $200 a month, but what did he truly need to live in a third world country? He was just as vibrant as I remember him being, and had the air of fulfillment. For a moment, I would've given anything to trade places...I remembered having that same spirit inside me.

I certainly don't have the answers, but appreciate that I at least ask the questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment