Thursday, November 26, 2009

Party Virgin

So, I wanted to post a follow-up on my previous post http://tinyurl.com/yj5uuzl and let you all know how the party truly went down…

In planning my big party full of yummy apps, I failed to realize that in fact my family may actually help rather than make it a more stressful event. I've thrown a few parties, but never for family, and never with this much food (except for one disastrous Thanksgiving with 8 girlfriends which involved an uncooked turkey & 8 bottles of wine). So needless to say I was a bit nervous of my talents pulling through.

The party was set to start at 6:30, but somehow my eager parents ended up at the door by 4pm. Makeup-free and in the middle of a mess, I wasn't sure how I would pull it off...until something magic happened- they both just started helping. I resisted at first, but the result was unexpected: not enough time to make the twice-baked potatoes? Problem solved, (thanks Papa Bear)- we'll make a quick dish of candied sweet potatoes instead! No matter what issue came up- and there were quite a few in those final hours- we tackled it, TOGETHER. I've never felt such warmth in my heart as when we were all in the kitchen together. Mom chopping veggies (which she NEVER does, I might add), PB monitoring the sophisticated oven schedule (cannot WAIT for my dual oven in the new house!), lil sis arranging platters & the hubby preparing the bar.

Most everyone arrived early, and all came bearing gifts...in the end everyone had a blast, were well fed, and most important I skipped my final appetizer in lieu of spending time with my family out of the kitchen. To make that call proved to me, I AM grown up...and who cares what they really think! They all put on a happy face & dug into the food.

Happy Thanksgiving. Today I am thankful I get to EAT & not cook :)

1 comment:

  1. That "disastrous Thanksgiving" just happens to be one of my favorite memories. That's why our friendship works so well. We make the best of things. Wine, please! :-)

    ReplyDelete